see http://activemq.apache.org/shared-file-system-master-slave.html

In short, consumers should use the following URLs.  If the consumers are
embedded in the brokers, then using VM for the transport appears to work
fine.  However, if the broker goes down, so does the consumer (generally)...

Consumer A
failover:(vm://serverA:61616,tcp://serverB:61617)

Consumer B
failover:(tcp://serverA:61616,vm://serverB:61617)