both of those options are largely the same.

The idea of duplex is that a spoke broker only needs to know about a
hub broker to get a bidirectional networks and a single connection is
shared for forwarding in either direction.
When there is a firewall in between, only one port needs to be opened
so duplex is easier to configure in this case.

With each configuring a static networkconnector to the other, there
are two unidirectional network connections.