My problem was that I didn't realize the SMTPAppender only sends an email
when an ERROR level event occurs.  I set the SMTP threshold to WARN in my
log4j.properties file.  In my Java test file I did the following:
  log.info("info message");
  log.warn("warn message");
  log.error("error message");
I received one email that showed both the warn and error messages and I
incorrectly assumed that it would log warnings only and didn't realize that
the error event was the actual trigger.

I did some more searching on the internet and found this article
http://www.manning-sandbox.com/thread.jspa?messageID=114106 SMTPAppender
Usage  and I saw ewalker talking about the evaluationClass.

I set up my own evaluationClass and now everything works!