So, you obviously have a very slow consumer on that topic and messages keep
piling up until they exhaust broker resources.

To deal with that you should use either, pending limit strategy, like you
did in the first case. In this case the messages will be discarded to keep
broker resources in order

The other approach is to use producer flow control, and stop the producers
when broker reaches its limits

http://activemq.apache.org/producer-flow-control.html

Regards
Blog - http://www.nighttale.net