Are you sure the client even notices this?

From our experience, I'm fairly certain that only the server side of the connections where still open when we ran into this IOException.

I.e. isn't the correctly and completely closed (in Stomp-communication terms from the client perspective) connection put into a queue to later completely remove all connection information, close the server side of the socket, etc?

Actually, if there would be a last communication towards the client, I'd expect the non-asynchronous method of closing to be quicker per single client rather than adding a delay. Especially under load. Queueing for asynchronous processing normally suggests some form of unknown and highly variable latency. I can see two advantages of asynchronous closing. Firstly, it'll reduce time a thread spends on a single connection by pushing part of that work into a backend processing thread. Which in the end should result in a reduced amount of threads being active at any time. And secondly it can group several close/cleanup-operations in one go and thus reduce the overhead per cleanup.

But reduced delay for the close-confirmation towards a client wouldn't be anything I'd expect from a asynchronous background operation.

So while synchronous closing may increase the load for the broker by pushing this work into the communication threads and increasing the relative overhead for each cleanup/close. It shouldn't really be a disadvantage to the client side. Or am I missing a step?

Best regards,

Arjen