When looking at the Queue size attribute in JConsole for a particular Queue we noticed that the size would not reseed below a certain number 138. The reporting of this number persisted for several hours. When I investigated it I looked at the Queue's operation browseMessages it returned what I had expected 0 messages in the Queue. Once I hit the resetStatistics the Queue size attribute reflects the correct number of messages in the Queue 0, but over time this number increases to an inaccurate Queue size.

ServiceMix 4.4.1
ActiveMQ 5.5.1
AIX 5L 5.3
IBM J9 JVM sr9