You are correct. The broker persists the messages for when the consumer
returns. That means even if the broker goes away, any messages that it has
seen up to that point would get persisted. When the broker comes back up,
it would still have those messages ready to deliver to the consumer.

Is that what you're looking for? Or are you looking for something where the
broker goes away, can you still send the messages somewhere until the
broker comes back up?