I tried using the -Xms and -Xmx options to see of that would help
Xms at 1024M and Xmx at 2048M.
This did help and my server is much more stable, but the options don't seem
to be working quite as expected.  Currently my process is showing
                                 User      CPU %       Thrd  Disk
Memory         Block
Process Name     PID     Name   ( 100% max) Cnt   IOrate       RSS/VSS
On
java                  28108   root         10.0      1253   4.2      1.19gb
3.08gb  SLEEP

So the memory is above 3 GB, I though I set a maximum of 2GB for the JVM,
does it not actally work that way?

As I was typing this, I got another throw of the OutOfMemoryError exception
after having ~1150 connection working fine for a few hours.

So even this size of JVM doesnt fix the problem