with <broker persistence="false" />
there is no temp store for the file pending message cursor to use so
all messages are retained in memory.

you need to send non persistent messages,
producer.setDeliveryMode(NON_PERSISTENT) and enable broker
persistence.
Then the file cursor will over flow to disk when the
systemUsage.memoryLimit is reached.

if u don't have controll of the message producers, there is a plugin
"forcePersistencyModeBrokerPlugin" that can disable persistence broker
side.