We have an ActiveMQ instance set up with about 300 consumers reading from
persistent queues. These consumers are outside our network, so we're using
the HTTP tunneling feature to communicate with the queues, using the JMS
API.

The problem we are seeing is that the consumers appear to be polling as fast
as they get a response. The client we deploy starts six consumers each, and
we want to be able to deploy more clients. Problem is, the more clients we
deploy, the more traffic we see. Right now our servers are handling more
than 600 HTTP requests per second. I started up an ActiveMQ MesageConsumer
locally and found that it made about 50-60 requests per second, which
seems...excessive.

Is there a way to slow things down a bit? Looking through both the MQ and
JMS documentation, I didn't see a way to change the poll interval, probably
because it wasn't designed around HTTP tunneling. If not, is there a way to
configure the MQ server so that it won't return as fast, also cutting down
on the number of requests made?