If ActiveMQ is restarted, we find that our producers and our consumers have
to be shut down and relaunched in order to reestablish the connection with
ActiveMQ.  This is a royal pain!  However, a producer will throw an
exception whenever it tries to send a message through a lost connection, and
so I catch the exception where I can close the connection and reopen it.
Thus, my producers are able to reconnect automatically in the event ActiveMQ
is restarted.

But with a consumer, no exception is thrown as it waits for message
notifications.  It simply waits eternally for a notification that never
happens once a connection with ActiveMQ is lost.  So what is the recommended
approach for a consumer to check for a disconnection??
Mark