I think I got it.  With activemq-core-5.7.0, there's a clear difference
between doing and non-doing the following:

policyEntry.setPendingDurableSubscriberPolicy(new
StorePendingDurableSubscriberMessageStoragePolicy());

One resulting difference was that, StoreDurableSubscriberCursor#topics
member variable (TopicStorePrefetch map) was empty when I used the above
setting.  This was because the instance of  StoreDurableSubscriberCursor
class is created 3 times with the above line, while it was created only once
without the above line.  Moreover, when the above line is used,
TopicStorePrefetch instance is set to the 2nd instance of
StoreDurableSubscriberCursor while the one actually being used during the
processing was the third.  In other words, at runtime, Topic is working
without any TopicStorePrefetch cursor...

I'm looking into the sources more to know why this is happening...