On 10/02/2013 01:07 PM, Parvenza wrote:
Hi,
We're evaluating ActiveMQ (server version 5.8.0) as a replacement for
another MQ middleware we are already using.

Our applications run on win2008r2 64bit, but they are compiled with Visual
Studio 2012 as 32bit.

We saw that the Visual C++ library (ActiveMQ-cpp version 3.8.1) is designed
to be compiled under Visual Studio 2008.
We have 3 question:

1) Since we'd like to avoid the VS2012 automatic project conversion, our
first question is: are there any plans to add the native VS2012 solutions to
the library package?
The 3.8.1 project ships with vs2010 project files which will probably ugrade to 2012 ok. I can only really maintain one set of files, that's why the vs2008 project files are depricated and will be dropped on the next major release.

2) All the apr projects are win2000 DSWs. Can we rely on a VS2012 build
under win2008r2 64bit?
Or should we be concerned about strange effects or flaws in the resulting
binaries?
Its C code, so unless you are do something really odd, it works fine, just build x64 or 32 bit versions as needed.

3) Activemq-cpp library releases seem to be frequent. Is backward
compatibility always guaranteed?

Thanks in advance,
G.P.

Generally speaking on linux based OS's the minor releases are binary compatible. On Windows DLLs do all sorts of ugly things so I can't garuntee it will always work if you replace a DLL with a new one from a minor release but it should. On major releases the application usually needs to be recompiled to ensure everything is good. The API changes infrequently so you shouldn't need to make many code changes.