the broker maintains some per connection state, connectionId and
clientId to enforce the single clientId in use jms requirement, this
can be an area of thread contention on heavily loaded systems that
open/close many connections.
So even for vm connections (where there is no tcp socket) there will
be a pooling benefit.

But the age old answer is to 'ask the computer' for your particular use case.

--
http://redhat.com
http://blog.garytully.com