I have resolved my problems, at least for now.  There were two of them.
First, I did not install the stomp.py module correctly.  Second, the Python
stomp examples shipped with ActiveMQ were not correct.

Here is the listener that I got to work:

#!/usr/bin/env python
# ------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one or more
# contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file distributed with
# this work for additional information regarding copyright ownership.
# The ASF licenses this file to You under the Apache License, Version 2.0
# (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with
# the License.  You may obtain a copy of the License at
#
# http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
#
# Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software
# distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS,
# WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied.
# See the License for the specific language governing permissions and
# limitations under the License.
# ------------------------------------------------------------------------

import time
import sys
import os
import stomp
import random

user = os.getenv("ACTIVEMQ_USER") or "admin"
password = os.getenv("ACTIVEMQ_PASSWORD") or "password"
host = os.getenv("ACTIVEMQ_HOST") or "localhost"
port = os.getenv("ACTIVEMQ_PORT") or 61613
destination = sys.argv[1:2] or ["/topic/event"]
destination = destination[0]

class MyListener(object):

  def __init__(self, conn):
    self.conn = conn
    self.count = 0
    self.start = time.time()

  def on_error(self, headers, message):
    print('received an error %s' % message)

  def on_message(self, headers, message):
    if message == "SHUTDOWN":

      diff = time.time() - self.start
      print("Received %s in %f seconds" % (self.count, diff))
      conn.disconnect()
      sys.exit(0)

    else:
      if self.count==0:
        self.start = time.time()

      self.count += 1
      if self.count % 1000 == 0:
         print("Received %s messages." % self.count)

conn = stomp.Connection(host_and_ports = [(host, port)])
conn.set_listener('', MyListener(conn))
conn.start()
conn.connect(login=user,passcode=password)
conn.subscribe(id='stomp_listener', destination=destination, ack='auto')
# conn.subscribe(destination=destination,
ack='auto',headers={'seltype':'mandi-age-to-man','type':'textMessage','MessageNumber':random.randint(0,65535)})
print('sent message')

print("Waiting for messages...")
while 1:
  time.sleep(10)

And here is the publisher I got to work:

#!/usr/bin/env python
# ------------------------------------------------------------------------
[...]

dest = "/topic/event"

messages = 10000
data = "Hello World from Python"

conn = stomp.Connection(host_and_ports = [(host, port)])
conn.start()
conn.connect(login=user,passcode=password)

for i in range(0, messages):
   conn.send(dest, data, persistent='false')
   # conn.send(data,
destination=dest,headers={'seltype':'mandi-age-to-man','type':'textMessage'})

conn.send(dest, "SHUTDOWN", persistent='true')

conn.disconnect()

RobR