Martin,

Does this satisfy what you're looking to do:

There is a PR available which implements it:

https://github.com/apache/activemq/pull/85

Basically, instead of using ">" which to me looks like an arrow
meaning "anything to the right", you would use a "<" character, which
would mean "anything to the left."  For example, <.out would match
anything ending in .out.  Now, the paths match on full segments, so
the entire last segment would need to be "out", but I would imagine
you could adjust your naming conventions to match that, right?