How did using a virtual topic allow your consumers to selectively receive
only some of the messages destined for them?

If you don't use durable subscriptions, you'll still consume messages as
usual.  The only difference you'd see is in the behavior if you
disconnected your consumer and reconnected it later; if you don't care what
happens then, there's nothing to worry about.