ActiveMQ is not a database, and its performance is optimized for use cases
where all messages are consumed relatively soon after they're published.
There's nothing that says a message can't be consumed after some period of
time just because the consumer to whom it is destined isn't online.

You can have your own process that monitors for messages that are
unconsumed after a certain period of time, and then consumes only those
messages by storing them in a database.  When an end consumer came back
online, they would need to query the database to look for old messages
before it consumes any new ones from the queue.

Maybe the additional complication of implementing that is better for you
than keeping lots of KahaDB files, and maybe it's not.  That's your
trade-off to make; my point is simply that your current implementation is
not your only choice, and others might behave better in the aspect you
initially asked about, though they may also be worse in others.

Good luck!

Tim