Wait, those sound like two separate things.

When you say "messages aren't de-queued even though they are acknowledged
when our
system consumes them", are you saying that the broker isn't removing from
the store messages that have been acknowledged by all subscribers (active
or offline)?  Because that's very different from "We are setting the time
to live on the messages but they don't time out."

Let's start with timing out of messages.  For a given message, how do you
know it wasn't timed out, and how long after its JMSExpiration time did you
check?  Have you confirmed that the header is actually being set on each
message, and that it's being set with the right timestamp value?

Have you confirmed whether the settings to remove offline durable
subscribers are working as expected?  JConsole's MBeans tab can help here.

Last, let's come back to what I started with: how do you know that messages
that have been acknowledged by all subscribers (not just all active
subscribers) are not being "dequeued," and what do you mean by that word in
this context?  Dequeues on topics are specific to a subscriber, so are you
saying that for a particular subscriber they ack a message but the dequeue
count for that subscription doesn't increase?  And how do you know that all
subscribers have acknowledged the message?

Also, what does "ActiveMQ jams from storing too much data either in cache
or in the db" mean?  Producer Flow Control?  OOM?  Filling the disk your
persistent store uses?  Performance degradation?  Please be more specific
about the symptoms of the problem.

You say "in the db;" does that mean you're using the JDBC store?

Tim