It's a fair point, and I've used both approaches in the past, but when you're
using the Spring framework for almost everything else then it's natural to
also use its messaging abstractions, and in most cases it does simplify JMS
usage and configuration. While looking into the persistence problem I found
numerous posting about JMSTemplate's performance failings, but as detailed
in chriswongdevblog.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/jmstemplate-is-not-evil.html the
problem often turns out to be because Spring applies defaults which aren't
optimal in many applications, and in practice it's a fairly thin shim over
the JMS API.
I suppose there are similar arguments for and against most API abstractions,
for example Spring data vs  Hibernate (or other ORM) vs JDBC vs ODBC vs
specific database APIs. If performance or fine grained control is key then
diving in at a lower level makes sense, but often the higher level
abstraction provides convenience at a small expense.