We don't see a lot of traffic on this list about people using PostgreSQL
(or other SQL data stores, for that matter), and I've seen it said that
there's been less effort spent to test/maintain/improve the JDBC store
code, so it's possible that there are bugs that haven't been found yet, and
this could be one of those.

Can you tell us more about how you shut down the master?  Did you shut down
the ActiveMQ instance itself, or just pull the plug on the server, or...?

And did the slave never successfully start, or just not for some short
amount of time?  The JDBC locker (
http://activemq.apache.org/pluggable-storage-lockers.html) has a
lockKeepAlive period; is it possible that you stopped letting the slave try
to reconnect before that period had elapsed?

Tim