That page is just how to get started for the broker.  Here's an example of
one way to create a consumer: http://activemq.apache.org/hello-world.html

Note that this isn't the only, or probably even the most common, way to
create a consumer.  The Spring framework has a
DefaultMessageListenerContainer class that is used by many people to take
care of some of the heavy lifting.  It's also possible to create consumers
via a J2EE message-driven beans or through Camel routes.  You can research
the options and decide what works for your needs.

Tim