Hi all
I'm using a plain install of 1.4.0 and the node client "mqtt.js"

I noticed that when a client fails a login I get

12:27:24,921 WARNING [io.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline] An
exceptionCaught() event was fired, and it reached at the tail of the
pipeline. It usually means the last handler in the pipeline did not handle
the exception.: io.netty.handler.codec.DecoderException:
java.lang.NullPointerException
at
io.netty.handler.codec.ByteToMessageDecoder.callDecode(ByteToMessageDecoder.java:442)

Looking at the source the issue relies on the fact that the library send a
different set of bytes (MQTT starts at array[5])

https://github.com/apache/activemq-artemis/blob/master/artemis-protocols/artemis-mqtt-protocol/src/main/java/org/apache/activemq/artemis/core/protocol/mqtt/MQTTProtocolManager.java#L131

I tried to handle the different position of protocol name  in isProtocol
and the exception is not thrown anymore

Should I open an issue for that?

Thank you
Regards