As I understand it, question marks typically indicate that the data
contains characters that the viewer can't display.  Your question sounds
like you think the problem is that ActiveMQ is somehow transforming the
content into a corrupted form, but it sounds to me like the data is being
transferred correctly by ActiveMQ but whatever means you're using to view
the message (which you haven't told us what it is) is unable to handle
UTF-8.

Is the hex representation of the content the same on both sides of the
ActiveMQ transfer?  If the bytes (or their hex representation) match, then
ActiveMQ isn't corrupting the content.

Tim