Perhaps we used a newer Linux kernel (than yours) to compile the
library and it wasn't compatible with your libc.

you could compile the library yourself from the source distribution.

I recommend you moving straight to 1.5.1 though. It's already tagged
and I made the upload today. I'm just waiting the release to hit the
mirrors to send the news. But you can find it on maven central for
sure.

this is a link to how to compile the native library from sources:

http://activemq.apache.org/artemis/docs/1.5.1/libaio.html