Damn, you are right.
I did confuse <redelivery-delay> and  <redistribution-delay>
I had explicitly set
<redelivery-delay>0</redelivery-delay>, and while this is correct setting
for my use case, i ovelooked that  <redistribution-delay> is by default set
to -1.
Thank you very much for the quick reply. I just verified that enabling
redistribution fixes the problem.