The first approach starts a broker within your webapp itself. You can use a
normal consumer (not a message-driven bean - MDB), but only your webapp can
access it, via the VM transport (vm://).

The second approach lets the app server manage both the connection to the
broker and the creation of the broker, so it's probably also within the JVM
that runs your webapp and probably only accessible to your webapp, but
those details are hidden from you by the app server. You can only consume
messages via an MDB, but this provides a uniform interface that doesn't
need to change if you switch to another JMS provider in the future.

Since the standard way to integrate a JEE webapp with a JMS broker is via
the RA, I'd recommend that you use that approach simply for consistency and
standardization. That should also allow you to switch to a standalone
ActiveMQ broker (or another JMS product) in the future with minimal effort.

Tim