If the broker is the master in a master-slave pair and the slave is up, the
slave will automatically become the new master and properly-configured
clients will automatically connect it and resume processing. Otherwise,
clients will generally attempt to reconnect until the broker comes back
up,though it's possible to configure them not to.

Tim