Is what you're doing (setting them via request parameters on the URL) the
right way to set message header properties (e.g. test=2)? The page doesn't
say explicitly, but I had assumed that you'd need to use the --header
approach.

You should be able to publish your messages and then look at them in the
web console to confirm that the right values are getting set. Once you get
the publisher working right, then you can move on to the consumer,
selectors, etc.

Tim