Nothing you've described jumps out as a clear reason for the behavior
you're seeing, and I've never heard anyone describe similar behavior.

Do you see the same behavior with one consumer? (i.e. 1:1 is slow, 2:1 is
fast?) And is it just as fast for three (or four) producers as for two, or
does it get even faster with more producers?

Also, can you characterize in more detail what "fast" and "slow" mean here?
Do the producers go faster, or do the consumers? How many messages per
second per consumer/producer?

Are any resources (CPU, memory, disk I/O, disk space, network I/O) on any
of the hosts involved (broker, producers, consumers) pegged or close to
pegged?

Is the behavior the same for a larger prefetch buffer (e.g. 100 or 1000)?

Tim