Are we talking about 204 No Content, or 404 Not Found? Your first sentence
seems to have put one error code and a different error message together,
though your last sentence makes it seem like you're talking about a 204.

What URL are you hitting when you get this response? And I assume you're
doing this in the context of a websocket consumer?

http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/activeMQ-topics-via-rest-missing-messages-td4677698.html
seems to indicate that you'll get a 204 when attempting to GET or DELETE
from a topic subscription with no unconsumed messages. Could that be what's
going on for you?

http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/204-No-Content-after-sending-message-to-queue-with-active-consumer-td4255617.html
also references getting a 204, but it sounds like a more consistent
failure, whereas your error sounds like often it works and occasionally it
doesn't.

Tim