> Can the multicast work for a client who is connecting for the first time?

I'm not entirely clear on your question here.  Are you talking about using
UDP multicast for server discovery or using a multicast address and/or
queue?

> Will they immediately get the last value?

In a last-value queue the only message for a given value which is stored is
the "last" one received so that will be the one which a client gets when it
connects and begins consuming messages.

Justin