No  problem.  My point about the JVM was not that the cluster will run
within the JVM.  It's that the way an active active pair works, is that a
live and a backup server is started within the same JVM.  So a 3 machine
cluster might look like this:

Machine 1) Live A, Backup C
Machine 2) Live B, Backup A,
Machine 3) Live C, Backup B

You have 3 physical machines each acting as a live and a backup for another
machine in the cluster.  The statement you quoted sounds like a
distribution policy configuration option.  ON_DEMAND will ensure that
messages are only distributed to other nodes in the cluster providing they
have consumers present.

Cheers