You can use the -D option to copy your environment variables to
System.properties via "bin/env". For example:

ACTIVEMQ_OPTS="$ACTIVEMQ_OPTS_MEMORY
-Djava.util.logging.config.file=logging.properties
-Djava.security.auth.login.config=$ACTIVEMQ_CONF/login.config
-Dmy.network.connector=$MY_NC_ENV_VALUE"

Then, from activemq.xml file you can do this...

<networkConnectors>
  <networkConnector uri="${my.network.connector}"/>
</networkConnectors>

[]s,
Thiago