1GB sounds a little small for that volume, especially if there is any
danger of some consumers of durable topics being offline for a while, or of
all consumers on a given queue being offline. Either way, you've proven
that 1GB isn't enough, by hitting an OOM. The fact that you haven't hit it
till now probably means you could get away with using 2GB, but if your host
has the memory available, I'm never going to argue against using it.

In your test environment, I'm confused about how you can limit the JVM to
4GB of heap, and then have it take 5GB. Unless the 5GB number is total
memory as measured by something like top? If so, that just means that the
JVM made the heap 4GB, but it doesn't mean that there's actually 4GB of
data in it. Too can't tell you that, so you'd want to use JConsole or
JVisualVM to get an understanding of how much heap is actually used and how
much time is being spent GCing.

Also, can you more clearly describe what you mean by "unresponsive"?

Tim