I want to post a follow-up with an update that this specific OOM was my own
mistake. Even though I indeed was running my embedded broker on a separate
VM number of times and commented out demo producer/consumer code, I forgot
to comment out this line which came right after session creation, which is
needed for an embedded broker to initialize:

MessageConsumer consumer =
consumerSession.createConsumer(consumerSession.createTopic("amq.topic"));

This created a consumer on my topic. And since defaults were used,
Short.MAX_VALUE - 1 was used for non-persistent topic I used to stress test
broker. Tens of thousands of 100Kb messages were immediately prefetched and
filled up all the available heap, hence Out of Memory.

- Art