>From what I can tell everything is working as designed. As the
documentation [1] states:

    In the replication case, the backup just keeps waiting for a live
server to pair with. Note that in replication the backup server does not
know whether any data it might have is up to date, so it really cannot
decide to activate automatically. To activate a replicating backup server
using the data it has, the administrator must change its configuration to
make it a live server by changing <slave> to <master>.

One thing that's not specifically called out in the documentation is that
if the slave has existing data when it starts then it will copy that data
into a new directory prefixed with "oldreplica." This is discussed briefly
in reference to the "max-saved-replicated-journals-size" parameter. To be
clear, your data shouldn't be lost. If you find you want that data back
simply move it back to the proper data directory.

Justin

[1]
http://activemq.apache.org/components/artemis/documentation/latest/ha.html