I think this idea has merit, especially considering it's something that the
5.x code-base supports. There are lots of bits of pluggable functionality
in Artemis (e.g. metrics [1], security settings [2], etc.). This could
follow the same pattern where the plugin could be defined in broker.xml
with a list of key/value pairs (so the plugin could be configured easily).
Take a look at these [1] [2] for guidance. The related commits have all the
configuration changes, schema updates, tests, etc.

Justin

[1] org.apache.activemq.artemis.core.server.metrics.ActiveMQMetricsPlugin
[2] org.apache.activemq.artemis.core.server.SecuritySettingPlugin