I'm having an issue where sometimes I cannot stop ActiveMQ.  I have observed
that sometimes it starts without assigning a PID.  In those cases, ActiveMQ
works fine, but I get an error trying to stop ActiveMQ.  To end ActiveMQ I have
to kill the OS process manually.

Here's the output from the start command:
INFO: Loading '/QOpenSys/pkgs/lib/activemq/bin/env'
INFO: Using java '/QOpenSys/usr/bin/java'
INFO: Starting - inspect logfiles specified in logging.properties and
log4j.properties to get details
INFO: pidfile created : '/QOpenSys/pkgs/lib/activemq/data/activemq.pid' (pid '')

Here's what I get when I run the stop command in these situations:
INFO: Loading '/QOpenSys/pkgs/lib/activemq/bin/env'
INFO: Using java '/QOpenSys/usr/bin/java'
ERROR: Pidfile '/QOpenSys/pkgs/lib/activemq/data/activemq.pid' exists but
contains no pid
ERROR: No or outdated process id in
'/QOpenSys/pkgs/lib/activemq/data/activemq.pid'
INFO: Removing /QOpenSys/pkgs/lib/activemq/data/activemq.pid

I really need to be able to control ActiveMQ and having to kill the OS process
is not a practical long-term solution.  Any ideas?

TIA