There is a lot of relevant detail in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMQ-6215 and a test case that shows
how to best achieve true priority dispatch. It is always a trade off
between page in from the store for dispatch (or other reasons to have
messages in memory) and prefetch to active consumers.

note some of the scenarios in this test:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=activemq.git;a=blob;f=activemq-unit-tests/src/test/java/org/apache/activemq/usecases/QueueZeroPrefetchLazyDispatchPriorityTest.java

that may help you understand what is in play and point to the best approach.