Hi Magnus,
I recently limited the amount of data that is returned via
JMX/management, with a default of 256 bytes[1].
For large messages, the body should be a string "large message",
ensuring that just to browse large messages does not require us to
load the message body into memory on the broker or pull in the large
message file.

I don't think it is reasonable to expect to be able to view the
contents of a large message via the console but I would expect the
view to be consistent.
If 2.18.0 is not consistent we can resolve that, please raise an issue to track.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARTEMIS-3175