Hi,

We are replacing an old (5.9) remote ActiveMQ Classic broker with a remote
Artemis broker and have a few questions.

1. The Artemis broker is configured to persist messages in a database. Does
e.g. <journal-type> and <paging-directory> have any effect at all when using a
database? Which configurations are not relevant (ignored) when using a database?

2. We have a lot of old client applications which used to connect to the old
Classic broker by using an antique resource adapter (5.9). We are trying to
avoid changing anything in the client applications by simply redirecting the
old host to the new Artemis broker (which has an OpenWire acceptor). At some of
the time everything seems to work as expected (messages are delivered and
consumed) but we are also seeing a lot of connectivity issues, e.g:

ERROR [org.apache.activemq.artemis.core.server] AMQ224088: Timeout (10 seconds)
on acceptor "artemis" during protocol handshake with /XXX:XXX:XXX.XXX:XXXXX has
occurred.

ERROR [org.apache.activemq.artemis.core.server] AMQ224126: Failure during
protocol handshake on connection to /XXX:XXX:XXX.XXX:XXXXX from
/XXX:XXX:XXX.XXX:XXXXX

ERROR [org.apache.activemq.artemis.core.server] AMQ224014: Failed to close
session

WARN  [org.apache.activemq.artemis.core.client] AMQ212037: Connection failure
to /XXX:XXX:XXX.XXX:XXXXX has been detected: AMQ229014: Did not receive data
from /XXX:XXX:XXX.XXX:XXXXX within the 30000ms connection TTL. The connection
will now be closed. [code=CONNECTION_TIMEDOUT]

WARN  [org.apache.activemq.artemis.core.server] AMQ222103: transaction with xid
XidImpl XXX timed out

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this? Any particular areas where we should pay
particular attention? Could the problems depend on the old resource adapters?
Could a bad database connection cause the problems?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance
Calle