Thank you Justin for your reply and invitation on Slack.

Because you mentioned a larger audience on this mailing list, let me
describe my issue here.

I am configuring AMQ to form a simple fanout federation like (top broker)
--> (middle broker) --> (bottom broker), where an arrow represents upstream
to downstream relationship. According to the AMQ document, I only
configured a downstream broker to connect to an upstream broker using a
simple static connector and forward-all "#" address for federation.
However, when I connect an MQTT publisher to the top broker and an MQTT
subscriber to the bottom one, the latter cannot receive the sent message.
When I instead connect the subscriber to the middle broker, it can receive
the message, and the same applies when I connect publisher to middle and
subscriber to bottom. In other words, the federation only works  when
brokers are "one hop" away and does not work when they are further apart.

AMQ documents do not provide details on how to configure fanout topology
except to set max-hops, and all the activemq federation examples are
basically "one-hop-away" type. Therefore, may I ask the community how I can
make fanout federation works, and even better may I have an example
broker.xml for a fanout?

Below are basic setups on my side.
OS: Ubuntu 22.04
AMQ: v2.36.0