Yes, I think you have the idea.

In your scenario, unless Archiva can sit in front of the corporate firewall,
you will have to configure it to use network proxy settings to access the
remote repositories if your firewall blocks outgoing HTTP traffic. The
settings may be the same ones you use in your web browser, but you might
want to run it by your security people first. Once configured, your maven
builds can use Archiva directly using an internal IP address and Archiva
will fetch artifacts through the corporate network proxy.

Brent