Hi,
Depends if you are using standalone or in a servlet container

1)Standalone have a look here
http://archiva.apache.org/docs/1.4-M4-SNAPSHOT/adminguide/standalone.html
replace <Set name="driverClassName">com.mysql.jdbc.Driver</Set> with
your jdbc driver
and replace url <Set name="url">jdbc:mysql://localhost/archiva</Set>

put your jdbc driver jar to lib directory
2) servlet container (it depends :-) )
for Apache Tomcat see
http://archiva.apache.org/docs/1.4-M4-SNAPSHOT/adminguide/webapp.html
put your jdbc driver jar to lib directory
change values

driverClassName="org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver"
           url="jdbc:derby:/path/to/database/users;create=true"

Let us know if it works.

--
Olivier Lamy
Talend: http://coders.talend.com