From: users [mailto:users-boun...@buildbot.net] On Behalf Of Greg MacDonald
Sent: Wednesday, February 03, 2016 1:54 PM
To: users@buildbot.net
Subject: [us...@bb.net] metadata properties

Hi Everyone,

For the build UI page I don't understand why the a class property is used as
the main line for the build step. My users don't care that it's a p4 step or a
shell command, they'd rather see something like, "Generating Meshes" and pretty
much only that with some timing info and status. They also don't care about
build properties. But I need that info while I work with the system. Same goes
for the skip/hide properties. I'm setting some properties to large lists which
end up printing text all over the screen in a very ugly manner. I could hide
it, but I need that info.

So I'm going to have to rewrite this for our purposes, which is fine. I'm
really starting to enjoy coffeescript and angular. But it leads me to think
that perhaps visual properties like step descriptions, skips, and hides should
be kept separate from the main system. Someone could rewrite the entire UI and
then those properties end up being unnecessary. I think some separation of
concerns might be good. How about we add an optional metadata property which
contains a dictionary? The web pages could pick it up and use it for whatever
they needed. It decouples things and allows third party UI to have their users
add per step properties, or any of the objects in the data model.

On a related note the issue I had with builder names being restricted to 20
characters with the dataService api wouldn't matter so much. And having an
internal terse name makes it easier for me to develop as well, saving the
flowery more verbose stuff for the visuals.

-Greg