If I'm not mistaken, there's some support for latent slaves (workers)
meaning they could be spawned on demand, this might be what you're looking
for. Sorry, cannot give you manual links - typing from my phone.

As for shared drive - adding to what Randy said - if all your VMs are
running on a single machine you can use shared folders, essentially making
your host machine a server.

Thanks,
Vasily

P.S. Randy, I hope you are well, missing the times we were talking
frequently (among all things that was extremely valuable language practice)