I agree that unmarshal().compression() sounds better. OTOH, probably
unmarshal().compressed() would be even better.

I'm not sure now whether I should try creating the patch as I planned,
because what Christian suggests (extracting camel-compress) is obviously
better and superior solution. If he wishes to do it, I'll be happy to
contribute whatever I can.

It is also an interesting point the other Christian raised - about an
archives containing many files. It would be great to support tar.gz/tar.bz2
archives as well. In fact, this is not even specific to compression - I
would say that a generic data format concept should support
spitting/aggregation - consider MIME emails with attachments for example.
I'm not that much in EAP background and camel internal design (yet?) to
suggest how that aspect might be implemented however.