I've started testing with the camel 2.6 snapshot and believe I have found the
root of the issue.

The endpoint I am trying to test is an http endpoint. I included the user
name and password as query params in the URI.

Having a "&" in the URI prevents the InterceptSendToEndpoint from working
correctly. I recreated the issue with a static http endpoint like

.to("http:host/my_ws?arg1=ok&arg2=bad")

Out of curiosity I printed out the endpoints in my route after adding the
interceptor. On the URI without the "&", I only see one endpoint:

endPoint.uri = http://host/some_place/junk?arg1=ok
endPoint.class = class org.apache.camel.impl.InterceptSendToEndpoint

On the URI with the "&", I see two endpoints:

endPoint.uri = http://host/some_place/junk?arg2=bad&arg1=ok
endPoint.class = class org.apache.camel.impl.InterceptSendToEndpoint
endPoint.uri = http://host/some_place/junk?arg2=bad&arg1=ok
endPoint.class = class org.apache.camel.component.http.HttpEndpoint

-john