Well I suppose the interesting thing is that when the initial request is sent
to the cxf web service endpoint, I am just using a velocity template as the
message since it is static, so the cxf endpoint is in MESSAGE format for
that.  The reply back from the cxf endpoint then would be what needs to be
converted, so I am not sure how I could mimic this behavior in that case.

I either need to figure out how to send a velocity template to a POJO cxf
endpoint, or to convert the response from a MESSAGE cxf endpoint into pojos
to write the type converters for.

I suppose another option is to just do everything through XSLT?